Wednesday, 16 April 2014

Epic Hassle (but I got by with a little help from saccharomyces boulardii)

"Saccha ... sacch... sacca-what?".. I cannot deny I had to watch a youtube video to get the pronunciation of this right! Saccharomyces boulardii, pronounced: sāk'ə-rō-mī'sēz' or 'SAK a roe MYE sees boo LAR dee eye LYE', got it? Saccharomyces boulardii are “Antidiarrheal microorganisms". Awesome, time to get excited

But first a phage therapy update...

Sorry, not a very exciting update this time. I've been getting loads of people asking how are things going with the bacteriophage therapy (thank you kindly for your enquiries!). Well, all I can say is that the last 7 weeks have been nothing short of an epic hassle!! This eradication venture has not kicked off the way I had planned. BUT that's life. Importantly this was not due to bacteriophages, the 'glitch' was entirely my antibiotic allergies fault. I was re-desensitised Monday 2 weeks ago, but then it failed again



by that Thursday my allergies broke through for the second time this 'tune up'. I was loaded up on antihistamines and a steroid, which were not totally stopping the reaction, but keeping it at bay. The IV's are a very important step of the eradication process, I was resigned to that and completed the course yesterday.

In terms of where the bacteriophage therapy is at, I stopped them when the first desensitisation failed. I did not think that commencing them again until my antibiotic allergies are stabilised/resolved was a good idea. I did not wish to complicate things or compromise the eradication process (or waste the phages!). I am very optimistic this is a great start to the therapy, as my lungs are feeling very good from the ceftazidime, it has created an ideal environment to kick things off for the phages.

Yadda Yadda Yadda... the pseudomonas eradication process is on track, only took a slight  (7 week) detour due to my abx allergies... I have commenced Phage therapy today and will update you more on my pseudomonal 'conscious uncoupling' as it happens.


Meanwhile lets talk about something seemingly unrelated, but I think my recent experiences naturally lead onto this super important subject; Gut Health! 

The same time my allergy fiasco was happening, my regular IV side effect was happening too. My gastrointestinal system was not coping with the IV's ceftazidime and drugs in general. At all. You can fill in the gaps here... 

  

and... 

  bloated!

Anyway, I happened to buy some saccharomyces boulardii (as you do...) after randomly reading about it few months ago working well with probiotics, but hadn't got round to introducing it to my routine... (bare with me, I promise this all ties in). I decided over the weekend to start really mega dosing with it (in addition to my regular probiotics) to relive my gastrointestinal system. By the second dose my bloat was relieved and the next day visits to the bathroom were back to normal. 




I love when things work fast and given how long it's taken for me to get into phage therapy, this little bit of success was magnified (not to mention relieving). A side benefit (a very unexpected improvement), my allergies went down by at least 80%. My wheeze improved, headache gone, the welts were more controlled and when they broke out much more mild than previously. I was off pred (steroid) within a day of starting. 'WOW' and I didn't even take it for that?! I was seriously impressed!! 

Next thing I discovered is there are some very CF specific benefits to this friendly yeast: CFTR expression, inflammation reduction, inhibition of pseudomonas and Staph Aureus infections, inhibits biofilm formation, enzyme stimulation, helps gain weight, acid reflux relief, c-diff and it has anti-mycobacterial properties. 

So what is Saccharomyces Boulardii? 


Saccharomyces boulardii (a.k.a SB) is a probiotic yeast (species name: Saccharomyces cerevisiae) that you take in a capsule or you can use the power in/on room temperature foods; for example, I added it to my son's banana and blueberry smoothies. They didn't notice any nasty flavour at all and drank it down with pleasure (mummy win!)
Unlike probiotics (friendly bacteria) which are killed by antibiotics, SB survives and thrives during antibiotics treatment. Making this a dream come true for people who suffer from Clostridium Difficile (C-diff is basically severe diarrhea and digestive complications caused by antibiotics that have wiped out your gut flora)

Recap: Main ailments people may like to try friendly yeast for...
  • Pseudomonas and Staph Aureus infections (inhibit growth of)
  • CFTR expression
  • Clostridium Difficile
  • Crohns disease
  • Irritable Bowel Syndrome
  • Constipation 
  • Diarrhea 
  • Travelers Diarrhea
  • Aspergillus 
  • Candida
  • Acid Reflux 
  • Bloat
  • Digestion  
  • Immunity
  • Inflammation 
  • Liver support (particularly for those with CF related liver disease)
  • Autism (GAPS protocol) 
  • Acne
  • Yeast Infections
  • Urinary Tract Infections 
  • Food Allergies
  • Lactose Intolerance
  • Gluten Intolerance 
  • Anorexia 
  • Osteoporosis (prevention)
  • Depression
  • Ulcers
  • Weight Loss (promotes gaining the weight back)
  • PMS

All in all I encourage you to look into this amazing probiotic yeast, the more I learn about it the more impressed I am. Such a small and easy addition can make such a massive difference. Because as they say 'your digestive track contains 70% of your overall health'. CF being what it is, makes this my number one priority; to keep my gastrointestinal system as happy and healthy as possible.

until next time... Stay Healthy!

Some Further Reading

"Prevention of Clostridium difficile infection with Saccharomyces boulardii: A systematic review" http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2805518/

"The Search for a Better Treatment for Recurrent Clostridium difficile Disease: Use of High-Dose Vancomycin Combined with Saccharomyces boulardii"

"Saccharomyces boulardii Protease Inhibits the Effects of Clostridium difficile Toxins A and B in Human Colonic Mucosa"

"The effect of probiotics on Clostridium difficile diarrhea." 

"For example, bacteria strains found to help with management of digestion include: L. reuteri ATCC 55730, L. rhamnosus GG, L. casei DN-114 001, and Saccharomyces cerevisiae (boulardii). For treatment of antibiotic-associated diarrhea the most commonly studied strains are S. boulardii or L. rhamnosus GG. The strains found to have benefits for immune support include: B. lactis, L. reuteri, L. rhamnosus GG, and L. casei." 

"Saccharomyces as a vaccine against systemic aspergillosis: ‘the friend of man’ a friend again?" http://jmm.sgmjournals.org/content/60/10/1423.full

"Expression and Purification of the Cystic Fibrosis Transmembrane Conductance Regulator Protein in Saccharomyces cerevisiae"



"Cystic Fibrosis Transmembrane Conductance Regulator Degradation Depends on the Lectins
Htm1p/EDEM and the Cdc48 Protein Complex in Yeast"

"Expression and degradation of the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator in Saccharomyces cerevisiae." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11396922

"A yeast metal resistance protein similar to human cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) and multidrug resistance-associated protein." http://www.jbc.org/content/269/36/22853.abstract

"High Prevalence of Anti-Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Antibodies in Cystic Fibrosis Patients after Lung Transplantation" https://www.thieme-connect.com/products/ejournals/abstract/10.1055/s-0033-1347437

"Cell Wall Integrity Signaling in Saccharomyces cerevisiae" http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1197416/


"Increased levels of anti-glycan antibodies in patients with cystic fibrosis."


"Candida species in cystic fibrosis: A road less

travelled."
http://epubs.rcsi.ie/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1036&context=medart



"Probiotic Yogurt Effects on Intestinal Flora of Patients with Chronic Liver Disease"




Saccharomyces boulardii 

Saccharomyces boulardii 



Saccharomyces boulardii 

Saccharomyces boulardii 









    





No comments:

Post a Comment